St. Gregory Catholic School History
Since Saint Gregory School was established in January of 1911, it has provided a quality, Catholic education to the children of our area.
The school presently has students enrolled in preschool and grades K through 8. The student body is made up of children from four (4) counties: Allegheny, Beaver, Butler & Lawrence, and from eight (8) Catholic parishes: All Saints, Divine Grace, Holy Spirit, Most Precious Blood, Our Lady of the Valley, St. Faustina, St. Mark the Evangelist, & Sts. Martha & Mary. We also have several members of various non-Catholic churches.
Transportation is provided from eleven (11) public school districts: Ambridge, Butler, Ellwood City, Freedom, Mars, New Brighton, North Allegheny, Riverside, Rochester, Seneca Valley, and Slippery Rock.
The present staff of St. Gregory is made up of the Pastor, Fr. James Wehner, a full-time lay principal, eleven (11) full time teachers, three (3) part time teachers, seven (7) aides, three (3) office assistants, a lunch room manager, a day care supervisor and numerous volunteers. All teachers are required to hold state certification in elementary education and diocesan accreditation to teach in a Catholic School in the Diocese of Pittsburgh. Teachers are also required to obtain the state mandated Act 48 hours to keep up dated every five years and all staff members have attended training in “Protecting God’s Children” through the Diocese of Pittsburgh and have clearances on file with the school.
The school first received a certificate of accreditation good for ten (10) years from the Middle States Association in April of 1990 after completing an intensive self-study involving ‘The Vision and Values Program’, a long-range improvement plan, a three-day Middle States team visit and the writing of a self-study handbook. The Middle States Evaluation is an ongoing process requiring submission of updated plans every three years.